Troubled by abnormally high blood sugar levels? Diabetic or pre-diabetic? Learn how to lower blood sugar naturally, and live a healthy diabetes life.
In the human body, blood sugar rises and falls for various reasons, including diet, exercise, medication and supplements. After eating foods high in refined carbohydrates, blood sugar goes quickly upwards. In a healthy body, the pancreas releases insulin in response to the increasing levels of blood sugar, which lowers blood sugar to normal levels. In a diabetic, or pre-diabetic, insulin does not regulate blood sugar well, but diet, exercise and supplements can lower help maintain normal blood sugar levels.
What is Diabetes?
There are three types of diabetes: type 1, or juvenile diabetes,type 2, which is also known as adult-onset diabetes, and gestational diabetes, or pregnancy diabetes. These types of diabetes all have different causes, but the resulting high blood sugar is the same for each.
* Gestational diabetes affects pregnant women, and often goes away once the baby is born.
* Type 1 diabetics produce very little or no insulin, and are usually diagnosed in childhood.
* People with type 2 diabetes don't produce enough insulin to bring blood sugar down. Type 2 diabetes usually develops later in life, as the result of a poor insulin response.
In addition to the three main types of diabetes, there are also people with a condition known as pre-diabetes. A pre-diabetic has borderline blood sugar levels that are higher than normal, but not yet high enough to qualify as diabetic.
Diabetes Lifestyle Changes to Lower Blood Sugar Naturally
Simple lifestyle changes can make a difference in blood sugar levels. These general changes can help to lower blood sugar naturally:
* Avoid foods that are high in refined carbohydrates, such as sugary desserts or white bread.
* Eat foods high in fiber, to slow blood sugar rise after eating.
* Start a moderate exercise program, to help keep blood sugar levels normal.
Foods and Supplements that Lower Blood Sugar
There are some foods and supplements that can reduce blood glucose levels.
* stevia, a natural sweetener, lowers blood sugar levels. For more information about Stevia, read: Natural Sugar Substitutes: Stevia and Erythritol.
* Green tea also lowers blood sugar levels, according to a 2004 Japanese study.
* A 2003 study, published in Diabetes Care, shows that cinnamon also reduces blood glucose levels.
Tip: Adding a cinnamon stick to a brewing cup of green tea, sweetened by stevia, improves the flavor, and combines the health benefits.
* Low Carb Diabetic Diets: Ideas & Explanation
* Diabetics can Lower Blood Sugar Naturally
* Prevent Diabetic Hypoglycemia - Insulin Overdose
Diabetic Testing and Treatment
Diabetic testing and treatment should be supervised by a physician. Before making changes to diet or exercise level, or adding new supplements, diabetics should consult with their treating physician for optimum health and safety.